Remember
PLUS emergency 1800 88 0000 number.
On 29th
September, 2011 at night after my Mother In Law's burial, my mother, Lee Poh
and I were on the way back from JB after sending Matthew and Amanda to Senai
Airport (their flight back to KL LCCT). I noticed that my battery warning meter
was solid red (alternator not charging). But stubborn as I am, thought.. “no
problem one, sure can reach BP, next day only see foreman”.
The lights
grew dimmer and dimmer. I called the foreman's assistant. He says "patut
tak jalan dulu ... kereta modern, tak ada charge, semua berhenti, sure tak
sampai BP". He instructed “air contd kena off”, semua pakai current kena
off, battery tahan lama sikit”. Unlike old cars, no electronics, can even
remove the battery once car started, it will still run. Foreman instructs his
staff to get ready 2 spare batteries to help me get back to BP.
Car stalled
on Km52 north bound, near Simpang Rengam. Totally no power from battery, even
boot actuator cannot work. Got mother and Lee Poh over the, thankfully, dry
drain safely away from car.
Had to call
the assistant to ask how to bypass to open boot to get reflector triangle.
Managed to retrieve triangle and fix it up some 5 car lengths away. The speed
of cars zooming by; the triangle threatens to fly away, heavy as it is.
Anyway soon
came along a private tow-truck, thankfully parked behind stalled car to our
great relief .... that way his flashing lights "protected" and gave
cover to our stalled car. He tried to persuade me to use him to tow car to his
workshop. (A friend had used this particular workshop's service, and
incidentally I was with him when he broke down then). Remembered that this
workshop a bit .... dodgy like, so I stalled .... actually didn't want him to
leave since his tow truck was providing cover for me. Meanwhile called 1800 88
0000 for Plus emergency. Also arranged for my own tow from BP (my insurance
chap still unsure then whether I am entitled to tow claims; apparently not, I
found out later)
The Plus
chaps came pretty quickly after the call and completing some preliminaries,
sign forms etc, I asked for a short haul tow to nearest toll plaza. They say
that even if I didn't ask, their job was to clear the highway ASAP, and if they
cannot fix, they will tow... FOC.
The tow truck
fellow was still around and still providing me cover, so for his parking the tow
truck behind me and flashing his lights, giving us great relief and a sense of
safety, I gave him a tenner as a tip. He then escorted the Plus tow for a few
kilometers before honking and moving off the convoy. The power of the tip..
Back to the
Plus chaps. ... the car was so heavy the tow rope snapped midway to the toll
plaza. They then replaced the tow line with a metal rope. Reaching Simpang
Rengam, Plus chaps disengaged their tow line and I gave them a tip to thank
them, and they refused ... I insisted "ikhlas" and they accepted.
They stayed a while longer to ensure my arrangements for my tow truck is okay
before leaving.
Mother
enjoyed the tow back even though no air contd. Says it’s her first time being
towed. Reached workshop nearly dusk, the foreman already had his men open up
the workshop to accept car. Next afternoon, car fixed, alternator cut-out diode
fault and replaced a squeaky bearing.
Plus
service is really a-okay. Keep the 1800 88 0000 number handy... never know when
you will need it.
No comments:
Post a Comment